Gouache, Watercolor and Ink on Laid Paper
28 x 20 Inches
Signed Lower Right, "Mallory" and Dated 1975
This well-listed Modernist and foundational member of the kinetic art movement was born in Philadelphia and first studied at the University of Colorado, receiving his MA in 1951. He subsequently received his Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Florida in 1955, and, in 1956, attended the School of Fine Arts in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil where he studied with Roberto Burle Marx. In 1957, Mallory moved to Paris where he attended the Academy Julian.
Over the course of a long career, Mallory exhibited internationally with success including at New York's Museum of Modern Art and Whitney Museum as well as in Paris, Milan, London and Rio de Janeiro. His work is held in the permanent collections of museums world-wide, including those of New York's Museum of Modern Art and Whitney Museum; the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; the Smithsonian Institute; the Cooper Hewitt Museum; the Israel Museum, Israel; the Los Angeles County Museum of Modern Art; the Albright Knox Museum; the Santa Barbara Museum of Art; the Oakland Museum of Modern Art; the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard, and the La Jolla Museum of Modern Art, among many others
In addition to maintaining a full-time career as a professional artist, Mallory held a number of academic and consultative positions including Visiting Artist at the University of California at Berkeley (1972); Art Consultant and urban planner for Bunker Hill Redevelopment in Los Angeles (1944 -1998) and participating artist and curator for C Project, a holographic artist community project that also included Roy Lichtenstein, Chuck Close, Ed Ruscha and James Turrell. In 1999, Ronald Mallory was awarded the Pollack-Krasner Grant and received a grant from the New York Council for the Arts.
We are pleased to offer this vibrant work from the artist's middle-period, painted when Mallory was forty-three.
Selected Solo Exhibitions:
Gallery 93, Paris in 1961; Geminaire Gallery, New York, 1963; Stable Gallery, New York, 1966, 1967, 1968; Gallery Bonino, New York, 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1981; Salone Annunciata, Milan, Italy, 1972 and 1973; Galerie Iris Clert, Paris, France, 1971 and 1975; Hansen Fuller Gallery, San Francisco, 1973; 901 Canyon Road Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1995; and Mitchell Algus Gallery, New York, 2001; among others.